It’s the time of year when we focus on spending time with friends and family and remembering everything for which we’re grateful. If you’ve been invited to someone else’s home for Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving this year, don’t forget to show your gratitude with a thoughtful gift for your host or hostess. At Gainan’s Flowers in Billings, our professional florist and gift designers have been busy compiling a list of creative gift ideas for hostess gifts.
Why It’s Important to Bring a Hostess Gift to Thanksgiving
It’s considered good manners not to come empty-handed to a dinner party. Even if your Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving meal is a potluck, and you’ll be bringing a dish or two to share, you should still bring a gift for your host. It takes a lot of work to plan a big meal and prepare one’s home, kitchen, and table for guests. Show your appreciation with a thoughtful hostess gift.
Find the Perfect Gift for Your Host or Hostess
Friendsgiving is just like Thanksgiving, but with your buddies! It’s usually scheduled for a day when everyone’s available and in town, like the Wednesday before or the Wednesday after Thanksgiving Day. Even though it’s a sit-down dinner, it’s usually less formal than actual Thanksgiving dinner. When choosing your hostess gift, remember that fun’s always on the table at Friendsgiving!
- Everyone loves candles that smell like the best parts of Thanksgiving (pumpkin pie!)
- Since everyone’s at the grown-up’s table, make your Friendsgiving feel even more special with a pretty floral centerpiece
- A set of funny fridge magnets will make your friend smile year-round
- Enough party poppers for everyone to celebrate
- A game to play after dinner
- A basket of spa products to help your host relax after everyone’s gone
- A pair of fuzzy socks to keep your friend’s feet toasty all winter
2. Thanksgiving with Your In-Laws
Whether you’ve known your in-laws for years or will be meeting your significant other’s parents for the first time on Thanksgiving Day, it’s important to bring a token of your appreciation in the form of a hostess gift. Show them how thankful you are that they’ve included you in their family and holiday traditions. For a sincere sentiment, choose a tastefully elegant gift.
- A pretty box of gourmet chocolates or other treats
- Whiskey stones and bottle of locally distilled spirits
- High-quality serving utensils (everyone always needs more on Thanksgiving)
- A nice bottle of wine paired with an accessory like a fancy bottle opener, aerator, or wine charms
- A stylish cheese board with cheese markers and knives
- A basket of gourmet coffee to brew with dessert or on Friday morning
- A sleek essential oil diffuser with a nice holiday scent
3. Thanksgiving with Your Family
If you’re heading to your parents’ or grandparents’ home for Thanksgiving this year, then show them how well you were raised by arriving with a gift. Choose something they’ll love or something that the whole family can enjoy on Thanksgiving Day.
- Bring a cheerful and bright floral arrangement to decorate the dining table or living room
- An activity for the children like a not-too-messy craft project
- Fancy hand soap to keep everyone healthy
- A set of holiday cookie cutters
- Decorative dish towels
- Sparkling cider so everyone has a special drink to sip
- A fun game for everyone to play while they digest
When in Doubt, Pick Flowers!
Flowers make an appropriate gift for any Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving host. If you’re not sure what to pick, we recommend selecting a floral arrangement with pre-trimmed stems that are already in a vase of water. If you arrive with a wrapped bouquet, your host probably won’t have time to trim the stems and arrange them in a vase before dinner. We welcome you to stop by a Gainan’s Flowers location for personalized hostess gift recommendations. We’ll help you select the perfect floral arrangement, bouquet, or centerpiece to celebrate Thanksgiving this year.